- 1 What do you wear to a wake vs funeral?
- 2 What do you wear to a viewing wake?
- 3 How should a woman dress for a wake?
- 4 What colors are appropriate for a wake?
- 5 Is it acceptable to wear jeans to a wake?
- 6 How long should you stay at a wake?
- 7 Should you wear black to a viewing?
- 8 Do you bring anything to a wake?
- 9 What is appropriate attire for a viewing?
- 10 What food do you bring to a wake?
- 11 What do you say at a wake?
- 12 Can I wear black jeans to a funeral?
- 13 What colors should you not wear to a funeral?
- 14 Is it better to go to the funeral or viewing?
- 15 How do you pay respects at a wake?
What do you wear to a wake vs funeral?
A wake might be slightly less formal than a funeral, but it still requires a polished, put-together look. A nice sweater and trousers are about as casual as you can go. Better to wear a jacket, neat shirt or blouse and trousers or skirt. For a funeral, a dress or suit works well.
What do you wear to a viewing wake?
What should I wear?
- Wear low-key colors. You don’t have to wear black but a wake isn’t the place to wear your leopard print blouse or salmon colored khakis.
- Keep your accessories simple. Your accessories should be simple and neutral.
- Keep patterns simple.
- Don’t go too casual.
- Stay away from festive or fun attire.
How should a woman dress for a wake?
What Women Should Wear to a Wake
- A simple, solid-colored dress in muted colors and dark shoes.
- A dark skirt with a formal top and dark shoes.
- Dress pants with a dressy top or a sweater.
- Simple, classic jewelry such as a pearl necklace or stud earrings.
What colors are appropriate for a wake?
You should be dressed in darker colors. Darker colors will match the somber mood of the wake and will convey your grief. Black, navy, dark gray, and charcoal are the best options, but darker neutrals in general are appropriate.
Is it acceptable to wear jeans to a wake?
Is it okay to wear jeans to a wake? You should not wear jeans to a wake or visitation if at all possible. paying your respects to the family and the deceased comes before inappropriate clothing. Otherwise, make every effort to be dressed appropriately in somber colors and more formal attire.
How long should you stay at a wake?
According to the The Funeral Source, it is appropriate for guests to stay at the wake for as little as 15 to 20 minutes. However, you should use your own discretion upon deciding when to leave. If you ‘re close with the family, you may want to stay longer. Offer to help and socialize with the other guests at the wake.
Should you wear black to a viewing?
While black is always a great go-to if you ‘re unsure about what you ‘re wearing, colors like gray and navy are also appropriate. Your most important goal is to avoid wearing anything that will distract attention away from the loved one who has passed away.
Do you bring anything to a wake?
It is appropriate to send flowers for the funeral, live plants that the family members can bring home later, or donations to the favorite charity of the deceased. The most important thing is to honor the wishes of the family. It’s best not to bring flowers, plants, or donations with you to the funeral.
What is appropriate attire for a viewing?
We recommend wearing dark or neutral colors, to avoid standing out in the crowd. Darker colors reflect the mourning atmosphere of the service or visitation. Men will generally wear suits or dress pants, dress shirts and jackets along with a subtle tie. Women typically wear pants, skirts and blouses, dresses or suits.
What food do you bring to a wake?
GALLERY OF POPULAR FUNERAL FOOD ITEMS
- Baked Ziti or Similar Pasta Dishes. Baked pasta is always a crowd pleaser.
- Potato Casseroles. Potato casseroles have a long tradition as a comfort food.
- Sandwich Trays.
- Deviled Eggs.
- Meat/Cheese Trays.
- Fruit/Vegetable Trays.
What do you say at a wake?
If attending the wake, you can say:
- “I wish we were here together under different circumstances.
- “Thank you so much for organizing the wake for (insert deceased individual’s name)- I know they would have loved every special touch that you ‘ve done.
Can I wear black jeans to a funeral?
Can you wear jeans to a funeral? The most common answer is that jeans aren’t considered appropriate funeral etiquette unless requested by the family. However, dark, unembellished jeans paired with a shirt, tie, and blazer for men or a blouse and a blazer for women can be appropriate for a casual service.
What colors should you not wear to a funeral?
You should never wear bright colors to a funeral. Primary colors like blues, reds, and yellows may come off as offensive or disrespectful. Red, in some cultures, is seen as a sign of celebration. It’s particularly important to avoid red.
Is it better to go to the funeral or viewing?
The short answer is, yes. It’s usually just fine to attend both the wake and the funeral. Especially if the person who dies was someone you knew very well. In fact, most people would consider it the respectable thing to do.
How do you pay respects at a wake?
Paying Respects and Joss Sticks To pay your respects, you may bow in front of the altar of the deceased. While bowing, you may offer a quiet prayer, or simply speak a few words in your heart to the deceased. This is considered to be universally acceptable behaviour, regardless of religious beliefs.