- 1 What do you wear to a wake and funeral?
- 2 Can you wear the same outfit to a wake and a funeral?
- 3 What do you wear to a viewing wake?
- 4 What is proper etiquette for a wake?
- 5 Do you bring anything to a wake?
- 6 Can I wear black jeans to a funeral?
- 7 What colors should you not wear to a funeral?
- 8 What do you say to someone at a wake?
- 9 How should a woman dress for a wake?
- 10 Should you wear black to a viewing?
- 11 What is appropriate attire for a viewing?
- 12 Is it better to go to the funeral or viewing?
- 13 Is it disrespectful to not go to a wake?
- 14 What do you say to a family at a wake?
- 15 How much money do you give at a wake?
What do you wear to a wake and funeral?
Funeral attire should be dark somber clothing. A shirt and tie for men and dress or slacks and a blouse for women. Black, navy, gray, neutral tones are all appropriate colors. Avoid bright or flamboyant clothing.
Can you wear the same outfit to a wake and a funeral?
If the wake is taking place immediately before or after the funeral, it’s perfectly acceptable for you to wear the same clothes for both events. Dark suits and dress slacks, long skirts, formal wear —all of those items work well when you aren’t sure what else is appropriate.
What do you wear to a viewing wake?
What should I wear?
- Wear low-key colors. You don’t have to wear black but a wake isn’t the place to wear your leopard print blouse or salmon colored khakis.
- Keep your accessories simple. Your accessories should be simple and neutral.
- Keep patterns simple.
- Don’t go too casual.
- Stay away from festive or fun attire.
What is proper etiquette for a wake?
According to the The Funeral Source, it is appropriate for guests to stay at the wake for as little as 15 to 20 minutes. However, you should use your own discretion upon deciding when to leave. If you’re close with the family, you may want to stay longer. Offer to help and socialize with the other guests at the wake.
Do you bring anything to a wake?
It is appropriate to send flowers for the funeral, live plants that the family members can bring home later, or donations to the favorite charity of the deceased. The most important thing is to honor the wishes of the family. It’s best not to bring flowers, plants, or donations with you to the funeral.
Can I wear black jeans to a funeral?
Can you wear jeans to a funeral? The most common answer is that jeans aren’t considered appropriate funeral etiquette unless requested by the family. However, dark, unembellished jeans paired with a shirt, tie, and blazer for men or a blouse and a blazer for women can be appropriate for a casual service.
What colors should you not wear to a funeral?
You should never wear bright colors to a funeral. Primary colors like blues, reds, and yellows may come off as offensive or disrespectful. Red, in some cultures, is seen as a sign of celebration. It’s particularly important to avoid red.
What do you say to someone at a wake?
Here are some examples of what to say at a funeral:
- I’m sorry for your loss.
- He will be missed by everyone that knew him.
- She was a lovely woman and will be greatly missed.
- You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
- When you ‘re ready, I’m here for you.
How should a woman dress for a wake?
What Women Should Wear to a Wake
- A simple, solid-colored dress in muted colors and dark shoes.
- A dark skirt with a formal top and dark shoes.
- Dress pants with a dressy top or a sweater.
- Simple, classic jewelry such as a pearl necklace or stud earrings.
Should you wear black to a viewing?
While black is always a great go-to if you ‘re unsure about what you ‘re wearing, colors like gray and navy are also appropriate. Your most important goal is to avoid wearing anything that will distract attention away from the loved one who has passed away.
What is appropriate attire for a viewing?
We recommend wearing dark or neutral colors, to avoid standing out in the crowd. Darker colors reflect the mourning atmosphere of the service or visitation. Men will generally wear suits or dress pants, dress shirts and jackets along with a subtle tie. Women typically wear pants, skirts and blouses, dresses or suits.
Is it better to go to the funeral or viewing?
The short answer is, yes. It’s usually just fine to attend both the wake and the funeral. Especially if the person who dies was someone you knew very well. In fact, most people would consider it the respectable thing to do.
Is it disrespectful to not go to a wake?
In a sense, it’s never a “must”. There’s no law saying a person must attend a wake or funeral. But there are circumstances where not attending would be shocking, or at least disrespectful. I would say these occasions would be when the deceased is a member of one’s nuclear family or family of origin.
What do you say to a family at a wake?
If attending the wake, you can say:
- “I wish we were here together under different circumstances.
- “Thank you so much for organizing the wake for (insert deceased individual’s name)- I know they would have loved every special touch that you’ve done.
How much money do you give at a wake?
Monetary Contribution There is no set amount, as it should be a gift – so give whatever you think is enough, and gift from the heart. An amount of $10 is perfectly acceptable, and is usually dependent on your relationship with the family.