- 1 How do you dress for a wake or funeral?
- 2 What do you wear to a viewing wake?
- 3 What do you wear to a funeral home viewing?
- 4 What colors are appropriate for a wake?
- 5 How should a woman dress for a wake?
- 6 Do you bring anything to a wake?
- 7 How long should you stay at a wake?
- 8 Should you wear black to a viewing?
- 9 Can I wear black jeans to a funeral?
- 10 What should you not wear to a funeral?
- 11 Do you dress up for a funeral viewing?
- 12 What do you bring to a funeral viewing?
- 13 What do you say to someone at a wake?
- 14 What colors should you not wear to a funeral?
- 15 What should teenage girls wear to a wake?
How do you dress for a wake or funeral?
A wake might be slightly less formal than a funeral, but it still requires a polished, put-together look. A nice sweater and trousers are about as casual as you can go. Better to wear a jacket, neat shirt or blouse and trousers or skirt. Avoid big patterns, sequins, or anything that makes noise.
What do you wear to a viewing wake?
What should I wear?
- Wear low-key colors. You don’t have to wear black but a wake isn’t the place to wear your leopard print blouse or salmon colored khakis.
- Keep your accessories simple. Your accessories should be simple and neutral.
- Keep patterns simple.
- Don’t go too casual.
- Stay away from festive or fun attire.
What do you wear to a funeral home viewing?
We recommend wearing dark or neutral colors, to avoid standing out in the crowd. Darker colors reflect the mourning atmosphere of the service or visitation. Men will generally wear suits or dress pants, dress shirts and jackets along with a subtle tie. Women typically wear pants, skirts and blouses, dresses or suits.
What colors are appropriate for a wake?
You should be dressed in darker colors. Darker colors will match the somber mood of the wake and will convey your grief. Black, navy, dark gray, and charcoal are the best options, but darker neutrals in general are appropriate.
How should a woman dress for a wake?
What Women Should Wear to a Wake
- A simple, solid-colored dress in muted colors and dark shoes.
- A dark skirt with a formal top and dark shoes.
- Dress pants with a dressy top or a sweater.
- Simple, classic jewelry such as a pearl necklace or stud earrings.
Do you bring anything to a wake?
It is appropriate to send flowers for the funeral, live plants that the family members can bring home later, or donations to the favorite charity of the deceased. The most important thing is to honor the wishes of the family. It’s best not to bring flowers, plants, or donations with you to the funeral.
How long should you stay at a wake?
According to the The Funeral Source, it is appropriate for guests to stay at the wake for as little as 15 to 20 minutes. However, you should use your own discretion upon deciding when to leave. If you ‘re close with the family, you may want to stay longer. Offer to help and socialize with the other guests at the wake.
Should you wear black to a viewing?
While black is always a great go-to if you ‘re unsure about what you ‘re wearing, colors like gray and navy are also appropriate. Your most important goal is to avoid wearing anything that will distract attention away from the loved one who has passed away.
Can I wear black jeans to a funeral?
Can you wear jeans to a funeral? The most common answer is that jeans aren’t considered appropriate funeral etiquette unless requested by the family. However, dark, unembellished jeans paired with a shirt, tie, and blazer for men or a blouse and a blazer for women can be appropriate for a casual service.
What should you not wear to a funeral?
What Women Should Not Wear to a Funeral. Avoid mini-skirts, low-cut blouses or dresses, and spandex. You don’t want to draw attention to yourself. Women may wear skirts and blouses, dresses, or pantsuits that don’t emphasize your curves, cleavage, or too much leg.
Do you dress up for a funeral viewing?
You are always dressed appropriately when you dress as though you ‘re going to a church or another religious service. However, some families may hold the viewing just before the funeral. In both instances, funeral attire is an appropriate choice.
What do you bring to a funeral viewing?
Small gifts such as flowers, cards, and even food platters can be a way to show your support to the family, without being too distracting. In the end, bringing a gift to a funeral service is a thoughtful gesture, but the family’s thoughts and emotions should be considered first and foremost.
What do you say to someone at a wake?
Here are some examples of what to say at a funeral:
- I’m sorry for your loss.
- He will be missed by everyone that knew him.
- She was a lovely woman and will be greatly missed.
- You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
- When you ‘re ready, I’m here for you.
What colors should you not wear to a funeral?
You should never wear bright colors to a funeral. Primary colors like blues, reds, and yellows may come off as offensive or disrespectful. Red, in some cultures, is seen as a sign of celebration. It’s particularly important to avoid red.
What should teenage girls wear to a wake?
How to Dress For a Funeral as Young girl
- Invest in a modest black dress or suit.
- If you do not own a black outfit, then opt for any dark-colored clothes.
- It’s not a set-in-stone rule, but it’s better not to wear printed clothes.
- Avoid bright colors like red, yellow, orange at all costs.
- A hat is a valid choice.