- 1 What do you wear to a wake vs funeral?
- 2 Can you wear the same outfit to a wake and a funeral?
- 3 What do you wear to a viewing wake?
- 4 What colors are appropriate for a wake?
- 5 Is it OK to wear jeans to a wake?
- 6 Can you wear jeans to a funeral?
- 7 What colors should you not wear to a funeral?
- 8 How long should you stay at a wake?
- 9 What should you not wear to a funeral?
- 10 Should you wear black to a viewing?
- 11 Do you bring anything to a wake?
- 12 What do you say at a viewing?
- 13 What do you say to someone at a wake?
- 14 Is it better to go to the funeral or viewing?
- 15 What to wear to a funeral if you don’t have a suit?
What do you wear to a wake vs funeral?
A wake might be slightly less formal than a funeral, but it still requires a polished, put-together look. A nice sweater and trousers are about as casual as you can go. Better to wear a jacket, neat shirt or blouse and trousers or skirt. For a funeral, a dress or suit works well.
Can you wear the same outfit to a wake and a funeral?
If the wake is taking place immediately before or after the funeral, it’s perfectly acceptable for you to wear the same clothes for both events. Dark suits and dress slacks, long skirts, formal wear —all of those items work well when you aren’t sure what else is appropriate.
What do you wear to a viewing wake?
What should I wear?
- Wear low-key colors. You don’t have to wear black but a wake isn’t the place to wear your leopard print blouse or salmon colored khakis.
- Keep your accessories simple. Your accessories should be simple and neutral.
- Keep patterns simple.
- Don’t go too casual.
- Stay away from festive or fun attire.
What colors are appropriate for a wake?
You should be dressed in darker colors. Darker colors will match the somber mood of the wake and will convey your grief. Black, navy, dark gray, and charcoal are the best options, but darker neutrals in general are appropriate.
Is it OK to wear jeans to a wake?
You should not wear jeans to a wake or visitation if at all possible. paying your respects to the family and the deceased comes before inappropriate clothing. Otherwise, make every effort to be dressed appropriately in somber colors and more formal attire.
Can you wear jeans to a funeral?
The most common answer is that jeans aren’t considered appropriate funeral etiquette unless requested by the family. However, dark, unembellished jeans paired with a shirt, tie, and blazer for men or a blouse and a blazer for women can be appropriate for a casual service.
What colors should you not wear to a funeral?
You should never wear bright colors to a funeral. Primary colors like blues, reds, and yellows may come off as offensive or disrespectful. Red, in some cultures, is seen as a sign of celebration. It’s particularly important to avoid red.
How long should you stay at a wake?
According to the The Funeral Source, it is appropriate for guests to stay at the wake for as little as 15 to 20 minutes. However, you should use your own discretion upon deciding when to leave. If you ‘re close with the family, you may want to stay longer. Offer to help and socialize with the other guests at the wake.
What should you not wear to a funeral?
What Women Should Not Wear to a Funeral. Avoid mini-skirts, low-cut blouses or dresses, and spandex. You don’t want to draw attention to yourself. Women may wear skirts and blouses, dresses, or pantsuits that don’t emphasize your curves, cleavage, or too much leg.
Should you wear black to a viewing?
While black is always a great go-to if you ‘re unsure about what you ‘re wearing, colors like gray and navy are also appropriate. Your most important goal is to avoid wearing anything that will distract attention away from the loved one who has passed away.
Do you bring anything to a wake?
It is appropriate to send flowers for the funeral, live plants that the family members can bring home later, or donations to the favorite charity of the deceased. The most important thing is to honor the wishes of the family. It’s best not to bring flowers, plants, or donations with you to the funeral.
What do you say at a viewing?
The Best Things to Say to Someone in Grief
- I am so sorry for your loss.
- I wish I had the right words, just know I care.
- I don’t know how you feel, but I am here to help in anyway I can.
- You and your loved one will be in my thoughts and prayers.
- I have a ton of bacon in my car with your name on it.
What do you say to someone at a wake?
Here are some examples of what to say at a funeral:
- I’m sorry for your loss.
- He will be missed by everyone that knew him.
- She was a lovely woman and will be greatly missed.
- You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
- When you ‘re ready, I’m here for you.
Is it better to go to the funeral or viewing?
The short answer is, yes. It’s usually just fine to attend both the wake and the funeral. Especially if the person who dies was someone you knew very well. In fact, most people would consider it the respectable thing to do.
What to wear to a funeral if you don’t have a suit?
So let’s take a look at appropriate funeral attire when you don’t have a suit.
- Sport Coat, Dress Shirt, Necktie And Dress Pants. Perhaps you don’t have a suit, but you do have a sport coat or blazer.
- Button-Down Shirt, Necktie And Dress Pants.
- Sweater And Dress Pants.
- Polo And Khakis.
- Can You Wear Jeans To A Funeral?